You should speak with a health care provider or nursing assistant if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your following period is much more than 7 days later
- Your duration is reduced or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your lower stomach (this may be a indication of a ectopic maternity, where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet might connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The herbal medication St John’s Wort
- Some medicines utilized to treat epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medicines utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medication such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may remain utilized, however the dosage could need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise with this.
There ought to be no relationship between your crisis pill and a lot of antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as 28 times afterward.
If you wish to be sure your medications are safe to simply simply take with all the crisis contraceptive capsule, pose a question to your GP or even a pharmacist. It’s also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medicines.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive tablet ahead of time?
You might be in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You will be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You’re taking place getaway
- You can not get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more information on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive unit created from plastic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or find korean brides https://koreandating.org/ up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing pregnancy compared to crisis capsule, plus it doesn’t connect to some other medicine.
You may also elect to have the IUD left in as an ongoing approach to contraception.
Just exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are numerous kinds of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and so are a lot more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 who utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years can get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less effective than this, but they are still effective. The IUD works better as compared to emergency supplement at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who are able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including women that haven’t been pregnant and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your medical background to check on if an IUD would work for you personally.
You ought not to make use of an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps an infection that is pelvic
- Particular abnormalities for the womb or cervix
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between periods or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger you may currently be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, however the chance of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Exactly what are the relative side-effects for the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are rare, but could add discomfort, disease, problems for the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD shall perhaps perhaps not respond with just about any medicine.
Where could I get crisis contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive tablet while the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries may well not give you the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You can obtain the crisis contraceptive supplement clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis departments
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is that may ask for the information that is following
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your overall cycle that is menstrual
- The date for the day that is first of final duration therefore the typical duration of your period
- Details of any contraceptive failure (such as for example exactly how many pills you have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines that could influence your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the most of community pharmacies in Scotland, often totally free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, however it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a regular way of contraception, you could start thinking about doing this so that you can reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most efficient security against maternity, and you also don’t need to think about this every single day or every time you have intercourse.
LARC methods are the:
Where can we get it?
This will depend what kind of crisis contraception you employ. There are 2 techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive product (morning after pill) – there are 2 kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized as opposed to your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having sex that is unprotected the greater effective it really is. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The emergency contraceptive supplement
Levonelle can be obtained totally free with no prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or sexual wellness center. Make use of our National provider Directory to find pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You could get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle could be taken within 72 hours (three days) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingif your ovaries release an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for the fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put as part of your womb. It damages both the semen as well as the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, whether it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is one of effective style of crisis contraception.
You’ll keep consitently the IUD in as your method that is regular of, or a doctor can take it off through your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be ideal for everybody else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you should be ill
If you are unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another supplement.
Exactly just exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of emergency contraception you employ and just how quickly you utilize it.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after product – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.